Serena Williams Says She Won't Be Silent About Police Killings Of Black Men

Andrew Kelly / Reuters

Serena Williams posted a powerful note on her Facebook page on Tuesday night, stating she will not remain silent about police killings of black men.

Williams posted the note after taking a drive with her 18-year-old nephew. In the post, she said she spotted a police officer on the side of the road as they drove past and instantly felt fear.

Facebook / Serena Williams / Via Facebook: SerenaWilliams

Today I asked my 18 year old nephew (to be clear he's black) to drive me to my meetings so I can work on my phone #safteyfirst. In the distance I saw cop on the side of the road. I quickly checked to see if he was obliging by the speed limit. Than I remembered that horrible video of the woman in the car when a cop shot her boyfriend. All of this went through my mind in a matter of seconds. I even regretted not driving myself. I would never forgive myself if something happened to my nephew. He's so innocent. So were all "the others"

I am a total believer that not "everyone" is bad It is just the ones that are ignorant, afraid, uneducated, and insensitive that is affecting millions and millions of lives.
Why did I have to think about this in 2016? Have we not gone through enough, opened so many doors, impacted billions of lives? But I realized we must stride on- for it's not how far we have come but how much further still we have to go.

I than wondered than have I spoken up? I had to take a look at me. What about my nephews? What if I have a son and what about my daughters? As Dr. Martin Luther King said "There comes a time when silence is betrayal".

I
Won't
Be
Silent

Serena

Williams' post has been shared more than 16,000 times, with thousands of people commenting in support.

Via Facebook: SerenaWilliams

Via Facebook: SerenaWilliams

Williams has been an outspoken supporter of the Black Lives Matter movement before. In July she raised her fist, in a move reminiscent of John Carlos's black power salute at the 1968 Olympics, when she won Wimbledon for the seventh time.

Glyn Kirk / AFP / Getty Images

And in 2015, she wrote in WIRED magazine: “I’m a black woman, and I am in a sport that wasn’t really meant for black people. So to those of you involved in equality movements like Black Lives Matter, I say this: Keep it up. Don’t let those trolls stop you... To other people, I say: When someone’s harassing someone else, speak up!”




from BuzzFeed - Sports http://ift.tt/2djFB3Y