Book Review : Miss Marple Mysteries: Book 1 The Murder at the Vicarage (1930) by Agatha Christie (Author)



Rating 


Blurb

'Anyone who murdered Colonel Protheroe', declared the parson, brandishing a carving knife above a joint of roast beef, 'would be doing the world at large a favour!'

It was a careless remark for a man of the cloth. And one which was to come and haunt the clergyman just a few hours later - when the Colonel is found shot dead in the clergyman's study. But as Miss Marple soon discovers, the whole village seems to have had a motive to kill Colonel Protheroe.

The first Miss Marple mystery, one which tests all her powers of observation and deduction.

My thought 

The first of Christie's Marple books. A great debut - I can see why Marple became so popular.

 What I remembered about Christie was her incredible plots and twists, but I didn't remember her for great style or characterizations. she  fun to read--smooth, well-paced, a fine observer of human nature and witty. This novel published in 1930 was the first mystery with Jane Marple. Narrated by the vicar, Len Clement of St Mary Mead in "Downshire," he describes the indomitable sleuth this way: 


Miss Marple is a white-haired old lady with a gentle appealing manner. Miss Wetherby is a mixture of vinegar and gush. Of the two, Miss Marple is much the more dangerous. 

Miss Marple wasn't the main focus of the story, so I hope she is in future books because I did love the end when you see how she has figured everything out. In this one, Miss Marple solves the murder of a local man that is murdered in the vicar's study. I love the way that Christie is able to pay with your mind. You think you know who it is up until the end when everything comes out. Sometimes I have been right, but more often that not I am completely fooled. Will definitely continue the series.

Of the novels by her I've read, the ones that are my favorites include Death Comes at the End (set in Ancient Egypt),And Then There Were NoneMurder on the Orient Express and The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.