Book Review: Vernon God Little



Rating 3 stars

Blurb
Fifteen-year-old Vernon Gregory Little is in trouble, and it has something to do with the recent massacre of 16 students at his high school. Soon, the quirky backwater of Martirio, barbecue capital of Texas, is flooded with wannabe CNN hacks, eager for a scapegoat.

My thought 
The book combines a strong sense of humanity with the gritty and sad life of a teenager struggling with tough circumstances. I appreciate the idea created by the author - the mass murder at school, a boy suspected to be connected with it, maybe even guilty of shooting, a small town and the media orchestrating the flow of events.It is simply brilliant; intelligent, moving, hilarious and thought provoking from the first chapter to the last. Vernon Little is a hapless and helpless 15 year old boy who gets caught up in a tragic high school shooting. He is innocent, but is unable to speak the truth without hurting someone else. He ends up on the run, (gets caught and brought back a few times) and finally ends up standing trial. I cannot say more without spoiling the brilliant plot. 
This book unlike many others I've ever read. I was fascinated by the somewhat spewing of thought from the protagonists head. I kept waiting for things to normalize, and when they didn't it wasn't strange, does that make sense?
This book is so quotable, I was laughing out loud on every page.  BC Pierre's humour lightens the harsh realities and overall I found the book uplifting.