Book Review: Hercule Poirot book 3 : Poirot Investigates A Hercule Poirot Antology



Original Language: English
Publisher: The Bodley Head
Country: UK
Publication Date: 1924
ISBN: N/A
Page Count: 310
My rating


Book Blurb
Cross a movie star, an archaeologist, a French maid, a prime minister, a wealthy dowager, and an Italian count with Hercule Poirot and you get a collection of the detective's most intriguing criminal puzzles.


My thought

Some of the short novels are mind candy, and Poirot's character is brilliantly portrayed as usual, but I still prefer Agatha Christie's long novels.

1. The Adventure of the Western Star
2. The Tragedy at Marsdon Manor
3. The Adventure of the Cheap Flat
4. The Million Dollar Bond Robbery
5. The Mystery of the Hunters' Lodge
6. The Adventure of the Egyptian Tomb
7. The Jewel Robbery of the Grand Metropolitan
8. The Kidnapped Prime Minister
9. The Disappearance of Mr. Davenheim
10. The Adventure of the Italian Nobleman
11. The Case of the Missing Will
12. The Veiled Lady
13. The Lost Mine
14. The Chocolate Box

The stories were entertaining though and it was a quick read. Hercule Poirot is one of my favorite Agatha Christie characters. His arrogance about his abilities to solve mysteries is part of what endears him to the reader. I love his moustaches! And in this compilation “the little grey cells” are featured quite a bit! 

This one has more of a Sherlock Holmes/Dr. Watson feel to it. Captain Hastings serves as narrator for 14 short stories each relating a case that he and Poirot worked on together. I liked it but Agatha Christie's talents come through a lot more in a full length novel. Some of the stories didn't have enough time to throw you off before they had to tell you the answer. They also crammed all of Poirot's egotisim into fewer pages so that can be iffy. Although the last one in the book makes reading the whole thing worth it. But I'm not going to tell you why.

Even though this book didn’t satisfy my requirement for a novel I am glad that I read it. And never to fear I have several more Agatha Christie books awaiting me! My goal is to read all of her novels. 

I recommend this book to anyone who wants to spend several hours in delightful company and leave the issues of present day behind for that time. This was lots of fun