Review : Pride and prejudice


Author : Jane Austin
Rating 



Book blurb
The proud and wealthy Mr. Darcy and spirited Elizabeth Bennet dislike each other at first sight. While Elizabeth's mother schemes for suitable husbands for her five daughters, his pride and her prejudice just might keep them apart.

My thought

All I can say is that Austen's Pride and Prejudice is just a marvelous 'laugh-out-loud' book that deserves to be read again and again. If you have a friend in low spirits, give 'em a copy; it'll be sure to bring 'em around! 

I have just finished reading this novel again, for the umpteenth time, and still can only marvel at the wit and craft that Austen has applied to this fabulous book. I think this time, I really concentrated on the thought-processes and maturation of Lizzy's feelings as she works through her relationship with Mr. Darcy from start to finish. Also, it seems that with the exception of Catherine Morland's mother and father in Northanger Abbey, that Austen created in her novels, in the main, some truly abominable and inept parents. While Mr. Bennet is clever-tongued, he is an atrocious father and indifferent husband; and Mrs. Bennet -- well, what can be said there that hasn't been said? Ughh!

I know that this may seem heretical to ardent Janeites, but I don't think that "Pride and Prejudice" is Austen's very best effort. Don't get me wrong, this novel is certainly in my top-twenty; but I believe that Austen honed her craft over time and delivered her real literary masterpieces in Emma. I surmise that if we polled Austen on this issue, she'd agree. Is "Pride and Prejudice" the novel to introduce a new reader to Austen for the first time? You betcha! They'd be hooked from the first sentence just as I was! It is a wonderfully clever romantic novel that happens to be very funny, and provides these terrific character studies of people of whom we all know in our own lives today.